The initiative for establishment of Center for Learning and Teaching (CLT) is under the purview since 2013. The primary objective and aim of establishing CLT is to provide faculty with guidance and support to be effective as teachers and mentors across all SNS Institutions namely SNS College of Engineering, SNS college of Technology, Dr. SNS Rajalakshmi College of Arts and Science, Dr. SNS College of Education and SNS Academy.
The CLT functions as an independent body to regulate the learning and teaching processes at the constituent institutions. In order to achieve this goal, the organizational structure of CLT would be in such a way that it will have membership from all campuses.
As part of CLT initiative, faculty presentations were conducted in the Technical campuses at SNS College of Engineering (SNSCE) and SNS College of Technology (SNSCT) during the month of December 2015. Faculty who were already practicing innovative teaching methods in their classes were identified as initial members for CLT.
Subsequently, CLT has started the process of supporting faculty at the technical campuses by conducting Faculty Development Programs (FDPs). The first phase FDPs were used as a platform to communicate the expectation and requirements of teaching and learning process to the participants. These sessions were executed by the members of CLT identified from teaching community at SNSCE and SNSCT.
The establishment of CLT was put forward in the 16th Governing Council meeting held at SNS college of Technology, during the month of October 2016 and it was highly recommended by the members.
Areas under the scope of CLT are:
Also, as a novel initiation, CLT and management have decided to float many awards and recognitions for the Teaching fraternity.
The SNS Center for Learning and Teaching (CLT) is dedicated to inspire and support best practices in learning and teaching that promote engaged, effective, student centered and life-long learning for providing quality education.
- To lead and inspire innovative teaching that promotes meaningful learning and student success.
- To build a Powerful Learning and Teaching Environment/Experience.
- To advance and translate the scholarship of teaching and learning both inside and outside the classroom.
- To cultivate life-long learning for current and future faculty at all career stages.
- The Center will establish a strong system for teaching methods & procedures, train teachers & practice it vigorously.
- The Center aims to collaborate with foreign universities for innovative learning and teaching methodology.
- The Center for Learning and Teaching (CLT) intend to recognize outstanding teachers by providing certificates from the year of 2018.
- The Center will facilitate an International meet to promote innovative learning and teaching methodology in association with IEEE Education Society in the year of 2019.
- Continuous learning, service, innovation, integrity, and collaboration
- Respect everyone who plays a significant role in achieving student success
- Commitment to constant reflection, exploration, and the creation of collaborative, interactive, and dynamic spaces where faculty learn from each other and grow as teachers
- Encourage collaboration and goodwill among faculty and staff to foster ongoing contribution to the college community
- Provide pedagogical and technical consultancy services to faculty community in support of teaching and learning excellence
- Support effective and efficient methods of assessment, aimed at improving the practice of learning in the moment, in a course, in programs, and across the curriculum.
- Provide a structured program for one-on-one consultations and classroom teaching observations as a way of delivering formative feedback for faculty and providing mentoring relationships with early-career faculty.
- Promote problem/project-based learning and teaching practices and support the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Transform student learning experiences by providing professional development opportunities for faculty and graduate teaching assistants.